I spent the last 3 days purging, organizing and rearranging my apartment with Mary. I wouldn't have been able to do it without her. She pushed me - quietly, kindly, without judgement - for 3 days. I actually saw myself in the people that sadly appear on the A&E show, Hoarders. You know the scene. Where they argue with the Professional Organizer about holding on to a coffee mug, or old hat? It means something to them. It represented a time that was important or happy to them. Obviously, I don't have that level of a problem (Thank God!!!), but I do hold on to old keepsakes. Years worth of Diaries. Drawings and paintings that I did when I was child. Love notes from boys in Jr. High School, Yearbooks and pictures & notes from High school, Cards from girlfriends that I met when I was 13 and am still best friends with today (Janice!). I'm not going to throw all of it away. However, I have had a shift. I appreciate them, but I don't feel the need to keep all of it now. I need to get a scanner so I can save some of it electronically, then PURGE. I have lots of boxes to go through today....and tomorrow....and the next day.
I've easily got 4 more days of work here. Ick. but.....good Ick.
I am making room for SIMPLE SPACE.
I need to make room for the UNKNOWN.
I want to make room for LOVE.
Love it....that's a good one...and a VERY important step. Clearing, releasing and letting go! good girl I have plans to do the same when school ends. That was inspiring...can't wait to see it!
ReplyDelete